Growing mushrooms is a simple—yet radical—response to our times. In the world of big pharma and the rise of corporadelics, it’s empowering to control where your food and medicine come from. And when you grow your own mushrooms, you’re not just cultivating the fungi... You’re cultivating a space for your mental, spiritual, and physical wellness to thrive by connecting deeper with what you put into your body.
Are you ready to empower yourself? Whether it’s your first time or you’ve tried your hand at growing before, our DoubleBlind’s 101 and 102 How to Grow Mushrooms courses (available separately or bundled together) will teach you the foundations of cultivation and provide you with a deeper understanding of how mycelium grow, and why experienced growers choose varying teks.
The movement is here. DB has taught thousands of people how to successfully grow mushrooms right at home. With their course, you’ll get video lessons and written guides, support from a team of expert mycologists, plus access to an invite-only community to connect with other growers.
Why Grow Your Own?
It’s cheaper! For $15-$20 worth of spores (not including cultivation supples), you can grow more than 100x more fungi than what you’d buy for the same price.
Peace of mind! DIY cultivation eliminates having to buy mushrooms from a dealer. You’ll know exactly what you’re getting, without having to wonder if they’ve been prepared poorly or are too old to be potent.
Deepen your connection to nature! Growing your own mushrooms—as food or as medicine—can deepen your relationship to them, while encouraging self-sufficiency and a connection to process, tradition, and community. Not to mention, growing your own can be empowering.
Let’s be honest—the reasons are endless. That’s why DoubleBlind is empowering fungi fans around the world to grow their on with their How to Grow Mushrooms courses. With the course, you’ll get 7 easy-to-digest video lessons and written guides, plus access to a team of mycologists who will help answer your questions throughout the process.
The How To Grow Mushrooms Course
Episode 1 | Vocabulary
You’ll get a vocab lesson on all of the terms you’ll need to know to be fluent in growing your own fungi.
- Get an introduction to the anatomy of a mushroom
- Learn the basic cultivation terminology we’ll use throughout the course
- Plus, get an in-depth mycology glossary
Episode 2 | Spores & SupplesEpisode
In this episode, we outline the supplies you’ll need for inoculation and subsequent steps of the grow process.
- Learn the difference between spore syringes and sport prints
- Access a supply list with links to our favorite suppliers
- Find out our favorite vendors for purchasing spores
Episode 3 | Inoculation, Colonization, and Storage
Here you’ll learn how to “plant” your spores, or inoculate your substrate—the first step in the mushroom cultivation process.
- Set up a sterile environment
- Begin the grow process by inoculating your substrate
- Practice patience as your mycelium colonizes
Episode 4 | Building Your Grow Environment
During this episode we show you how to make your bulk substrate for your fruiting chamber (a.k.a. terrarium or monotub).
- Get the DB-approved bulk substrate recipe
- Mix and pasteurize your bulk substrate
- Prepare your fruiting chamber
Episode 5 | Hydration, Colonizing, and Maintenance
Here you can place an explanation or answer to the questIn this episode, we show you how to finish setting up your fruiting chamber by transferring your colonized mycelium from the instant rice bags into the terrarium.
Transfer your colonized mycelium
Learn the difference between bruising and contamination
Craft the ideal grow environment
Get best practices for misting and fanningion.
Episode 6 | Fruiting
You’ll learn what to expect when your mushrooms begin to fruit. We also describe some common possible contaminants to look out for.
- Learn about pinning
- Monitor your first flush
- Familiarize yourself with common types of mold
Episode 7 | Harvesting & Drying
In the final episode, we harvest our mushrooms and dry them.
- Learn when and how to pick your shrooms
- Understand why and how to dry your shrooms
- Find the best way to store shrooms long-term
- Learn how to “dunk” your mycelium for another “flush”
Why Take This Course?
One-on-One Support: Unlike with online forums like Reddit, with our course, you get access to leading mycology teachers who will support you every step of the way.
- Three expert mycologists available online Tuesday-Friday and Sunday
- Share pictures of your grow
- Get your questions answered
It’s Fast: From prep to harvest, the whole process takes about nine weeks.
- Most of this time is spent waiting—patience is key!
- Only a couple of fuller days needed for inoculation and transferring the substrate
- Once they’ve begun growing, you’ll check to mist and fan periodically
It’s Affordable: Once you have the setup, you can use it forever, to grow an infinite supply of mushrooms for your friends and family. All the supplies cost less than $100.
- You’ll get about 30 to 60 dried grams of mushrooms from a spore syringe, which costs about $10
- Go as fancy or as basic with your setup as you’d like
- All supplies can be found online and in local hardware/garden stores
Not Much Space Needed: You don’t need extra space—in fact, a space the size of a litter box should be enough room.
- You’ll need a small, dark space for inoculation
- For colonization, you’ll need a space with indirect light
- 75-82F is ideal, but you can always get creative to regulate temperature
Private Forum of Fellow Growers: You’ll get access to an invite-only, private DoubleBlind community to bond with and receive support from your fellow growers.
- The DoubleBlind community is very global—connect with growers around the world
- Get grow tips and recommendations
- Learn about other people’s experiences and share your own