What better way to perk yourself up this wintry holiday season than with a delicious, homemade gingerbread latte? It's a popular flavor, one you could find at any coffee shop, but there's a even healthier way to enjoy this sweet beverage. Wellness Mama provides us with a recipe both scrumptious and packed with nutrients you won't find at Starbucks.
Here are the sundry benefits of making your own gingerbread latte the Wellness Mama way:
- Collagen– Contains beneficial long-chain amino acids that are great for skin and hair and a good source of protein. The addition of collagen adds protein and creaminess to this recipe without changing the flavor.
- Grass fed Butter– High in CLA, Vitamin K2, Butyrate and other beneficial substances, grass fed butter is a nutrient powerhouse that also adds the familiar creaminess to this recipe. This and the collagen add protein and beneficial fats that make this latte satisfying and filling.
- Coconut Oil– A superfood with many benefits, coconut oil adds lauric acid and medium chain triglycerides to this recipe as well as a slight sweetness and depth of flavor. Not a fan of coconut or allergic to it? Use extra butter instead or omit the coconut completely.
- Molasses– One of the healthiest sweeteners available that is relatively low in sugar and high in b-vitamins, magnesium, calcium, copper and one of the few non-animal sources of Iron. Molasses may have benefits for blood health, digestion, menstrual health and nutrient absorption.
- Coffee or Dandy Blend– Coffee can have benefits on its own, but for those who prefer to avoid the caffeine or just don’t love coffee, Dandy Blend is an excellent substitute in this recipe. It is a gluten-free and sugar-free alternative that is naturally sweet and a great base for the gingerbread taste.
- Raw Honey– Another powerhouse natural sweeter with antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is even used as a burn salve by top hospitals for its healing abilities.
- Cinnamon– A delicious spice with a long history of use for immune boosting, infection fighting and soothing digestive troubles. Cinnamon completes the gingerbread flavor in this recipe and adds an immune boosting punch.
Head over to Wellness Mama to learn how you can make your own delicious gingerbread latte.